October 28, 2009

The Lawrence Arms - Buttsweat & Tears

Facebook Twitter Digg Del.icio.us Myspace Stumbleupon Friendfeed

Lawrence Arms - Buttsweat & Tears
Written By: Zoe Porteous

Label: Fat Wreck Chords - Rating:

“Buttsweat and tears” is an EP by the Chicago-based punk rockers, “The Lawrence Arms.” It has been highly anticipated by fans, since they have not heard anything from the band in the last three years. The EP is released on Fat Wreck Chords label as a digital download and a 7-inch vinyl. Singer/bassist Brendan Kelly announced that the band came up with the concept and cover art ten years ago, only now making it happen to correspond with the bands ten-year anniversary and first West Coast tour in two years. After “Oh! Calcutta!” was released in 2006 the members of the band all performed in various side projects. Brendan Kelly and Neil Hennessy performed in “Falcon” and Chris McCaughan performed in “Sundowner.” Getting back to their main project “The Lawrence Arms” to produce the 7-inch Buttsweat and Tears” that they had been planning for the last ten years.

The opening song “Spit Shining Shit” definitely has a title you remember. The actual song is catchy enough even though the title will stick with me long after I forget the song entirely. Its pretty much middle of the road punk, not to say that’s a bad thing. I love the lyrics “I am tired of waiting, I am tired of waiting, this is my life, this is my time, It’s time to take it, don’t let it die.” The lyrics are what grab me. They are written like poems and could stand alone without the music..

There is one stand out song on the EP. “The Redness In The West” was beautiful and the message of the song was the best thing on the whole damn album. “Do you wanna get lost, cuz I can’t stay found. I done my time killing days in this town. I got a little itch and I’m thirsty. All I wanna know is who’s coming with me. Fuck you. You’re cool. Fuck you, too. The last goodbye is simple and true. I got a fever for the cowbell, boys. I fell for the beat and I stay down for the noise.” The lyrics are amazing, I love them. They are so simple yet strong and ring true.

Honestly, I wasn’t really interested in the band after listening to the EP. They are not bad and they're not great. Maybe it will grow on me the more I listen to it, maybe it wont. What I will give them is true credit for writing kick-ass lyrics. I would consider it more poetry rather than lyrics. I hope they keep going and maybe the next album will blow me away?! Who knows.

Like Lawrence Arms? Check out: Dillinger Four, The Falcon, The loved Ones

Recent Posts

Photobucket
 

Extras

CWG Comedy | Dear in the Headlights

CWG Politics

Politics | Whirled News

Pop Section

GK Clusterf*ck | The Hotline | Girls Are Wingmen

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

About | Staff | Company | Careers/Internships | Contact | Advertise