November 6, 2009

Tegan and Sara - Sainthood

Facebook Twitter Digg Del.icio.us Myspace Stumbleupon Friendfeed

Tegan and Sara - Sainthood
Written By: Victoria Hill
(Urban/Pop Editor)

Label: Sire - Rating:

Inspired by emotional longing and the quiet actions we hope may be noticed by the objects of our affection, Sainthood is about obsession with romantic ideals.

The sixth album from Tegan and Sara was produced by Chris Walla (Death Cab For Cutie), who produced “The Con” and Howard Redekopp, who produced “So Jealous.” Tegan explained that Chris and Howard were chosen because “the fan favorites in terms of records have been our last two. So we brought in the production teams from both and made a hybrid of sound.” The hybrid sound is lush and inventive and adds a new dynamic to the group.

I loved the song “Someday,” as it was a combination of strength (”Might do something I’d be proud of someday, mark my words I’m going to be something someday”) and insecurity ("I don’t want to know that you don’t want me, I don’t want to know what you’d do without me, I don’t want to know what I’ll be without you.”) The idea that we can be own worst enemy and give into feelings that just send us to places we shouldn't be.

“On Directing” is a snappy punk song that includes an interesting line, “I know it turns you off when I get talking like a teen.”

“Alligator” is a poppy, bouncy song about someone you love running around behind your back. Even Tegan and Sara’s voices sound bubblier. I love how the sisters can change their voice to match the moods they're creating. With auto-tune and a lot of one-dimensional singers; it's great to see people taking time to craft songs and looking at each part of the song to make sure it blends together well and stands apart from everything else.

While listening to this album and trying to think what to call the style of music Tegan and Sara created…do I call it electronica, pop, rock, punk, alternative, etc. and I have thought of a word to best describe it…fresh. Sainthood is a great album and is another step forward for a band that deserves even more success.

Recent Posts

Photobucket
 

Extras

CWG Comedy | Dear in the Headlights

CWG Politics

Politics | Whirled News

Pop Section

GK Clusterf*ck | The Hotline | Girls Are Wingmen

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

About | Staff | Company | Careers/Internships | Contact | Advertise